Since making its presence known at the end of the 2007 box office hit, Iron Man, fans have fallen heads, shoulders, and everything else over heels of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, also known as the MCU. But a lot of people don’t know that while there is an order to the movies that have come out, the timeline can be confusing at times. What was the beginning and what lead up to now? Well fret no more because I have gone through the movies (and the wiki ) to accurately explain the timeline in the MCU. This is part two of Jaytezla Explains the Entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Now we need to go over three main rules:
- This is going to cover every movie in the series, and ONLY the television show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. The reason I’m leaving out Agent Carter and the Netflix shows( Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist) is due to the fact that we don’t have alot of data on them to fit them into the entirety of the timeline. What we do know is that Agent Carter happens one year after Captain America: The First Avenger and that the Netflix shows happen 1 year to 18 months after the Battle of New York in Avengers.
- This is going to be spoiler heavy, implying you have seen all the movies and tv show. If you haven’t seen either, then watch each movie and bookmark this to read it later. It will also only go up to the tail-end of Doctor Strange. We are also going to stick with the important stuff, not the unnecessary fluff.
- Last but not least, we need a Code Sheet for the movies, and here it is.
Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3: IM, IM2, IM3
Captain America, CA: Winter Soldier, CA: Civil War: CA, WS, CW
Incredible Hulk: IH
Thor and Thor: The Dark World: TH, THDW
Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron: AV, AVU
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: AOS
Guardians of The Galaxy: GOTG
Doctor Strange: DS
Now that we have gotten that out-of-the-way, lets quickly go through the entire MCU history leading from 2000 to the end of Iron Man 3.
- On January 3rd, 2000, Maya Hansen joins A.I.M. to further develop the Extremis Virus (IM3)
- Not really important but Bill Clinton’s presidency is ended by HYDRA influence proving that even HYDRA will use sex as a weapon. HYDRA on the 27th of January 2001, seven days after the impeachment, send Will Daniels and a small crew through the Monolith to explore the planet it teleported them to. (AOS)
- The day after the 9/11 attacks, Thunderbolt Ross convinces the U.S. Military to create the Bio-Tech Force Enhancement Project, in order to recreate the Project Rebirth, the project that created Captain America. We will come back to this. (IH)
- In 2004, John Garrett returns to Grant Ward after leaving him to fend for himself in the wilds of Wyoming. Ward has been accepted into S.H.I.E.L.D. and will be a sleeper for HYDRA. (AOS)
- Bruce Banner joins the Bio-Tech Force Enhancement Project after his girlfriend Betty Ross, convinces him to. Her father, Thunderbolt Ross, says it will help protect soldiers from depleted uranium. Two months later, Banner tests the project on himself, but the gamma and the serum Betty created based on the Super Soldier serum turns Banner in the Hulk. He then is told the truth about the project by Thunderbolt Ross and goes on the run, eventually fleeing to Canada. If only he had run into a mean 5’8 guy with metal claws. (IH)
- Bruce makes it to the Arctic Circle to commit suicide but the Hulk takes over and spits out the bullet he tried to kill himself with. This is the last known sighting of Banner by the military. (AV)
- This incident also moves the ice in near the Arctic Circle. Doesn’t seem important until later. (CA)
- In 2007, a lot happens. First, Banner is spotted in Rome. In response to this, S.H.I.E.L.D. is brought in to help Ross. This lasts until 2011. Stark Industries also sells Ross HMMWW mounted sonic cannons. Bruce is found by Nick Fury on October 17th, 2007, to test what his triggers are. They accidentally trigger him and Hulks goes on a rampage. Two days later, Fury tells all of S.H.I.E.L.D. that Hulk is a secondary matter. (IH)
- Aldrich Killian injects himself with Extremis, healing him. (IM3)
- The final Momentum Alternative Energy Labs in Pasadena is shut down. (AOS)
- Eva Belyakov, a member of the Inhuman community in Afterlife, leaves after Jiaying doesn’t allow her daughter Katya, to go through Terrigenesis. She steals multiple terrigen crystals, and transforms her daughter, which gives her the power to manipulate people and a hunger for pain. This incident leads to S.H.I.E.L.D. coming in, specifically Agent Coulson and Melinda May, to handle it. This incident leads to May taking out a group on gangsters. This also leads Melinda to kill Katya and her mother. Melinda knows nothing of the Inhumans, leading everyone to believe she beat an Enhanced individual and gaining her the moniker, “The Calvary”. She is traumatized by the event and later leaves field duty and requests a desk job. (AOS)
- On February 14th, 2008, Aldrich Kilian tests the Extremis Virus on multiple members of injured veterans of the U.S. Army. Five days later, some don’t survive the process while other heal from their injuries and regrow limbs. (IM3)
- Sometime in 2009, Natasha Romanoff has a small run-in with the Winter Soldier in Odessa, Ukraine. At the same time, Fury puts Agent Coulson in charge of Project T.A.H.I.T.I., an experiment based on the corpse of a dead Kree recovered in 1945 to save any mortally wounded Avenger.
- After testing the Accelerated Wave Explosion weapon and the Jericho missile, Tony Stark is kidnapped by Raza via the Ten Rings. Stark is injured and with the help of fellow captive Ho Yinsen, builds a miniature Arc Reactor and a battle suit to escape capture. He escapes on April 24th, but Yinsen is killed in the process. Stark returns home and pulls the company out the weapons business, and Hammer Industries picks up the contracts. Stark later builds himself a newer version of the suit, while Obadiah Stane uses the pieces of his old suit to build his own. They later battle after State reveals he was behind Stark’s capture, and they battle across Los Angeles, leading to Stane’s death. Tony reveals he is Iron Man during a press conference. Later that night, Nick Fury visits him to discuss the Avengers Initiative, that Tony declines. (IM)
- Anton Vanko dies and his son Ivan, swears revenge on Stark and builds his own Arc Reactor. (IM2)
- Tony Stark realizes the palladium core in his Arc Reactor is slowly killing him, making him search for a cure. (IM2)
- On February 25th, 2011, Bruce Banner has an accident causing his blood to get into a soda bottle in Rio De Janiero. He also sends a sample of his blood to Samuel Sterns for analysis for a possible cure(IH) . Almost a month later, Stark reopens the World Expo. (IM2)
- Tony is asked to turn over the suit to the U.S. government by Pennsylvania Senator Stern, which he declines. (IM2)
- On May 10, 2011, Bruce is ambushed as forced to turn into the Hulk while being hunted by Emil Blonsky and Thunderbolt Ross. He later wakes up in Guatemala, and spends seventeen days traveling to Willowdale, Virginia. (IH)
- After being helped by The Ten Rings to get into the Grand Prix in Monaco, Ivan Vanko, wielding an arc reactor powering electric whips, battles Tony in his Mark V portable suit on the racetrack of Monaco between turns 16 and 17. Tony defeats him and later visits him in prison. Senator Stern calls for support on Tony turning over the armor, while Justin Hammer breaks Vanko out of prison to have him create his own weapon-suit program.(IM2)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors Bruce Banner, Jane Foster and Tony Stark’s movements. This is the beginning of Fury’s Big Week(IM2)
- Bruce Banner passes through US customs, while atmospheric disturbances keep occurring in the South Western region of the U.S. (TH)
- Thor’s coronation is interrupted when Frost Giants break into his treasure room. They are killed by the Destroyer and Thor sees this as an act of war (TH). Simultaneously, after fighting Tony Stark with his silver Mark II armor, James Rhodes turns the armor to the U.S. military. While this happens, Fury injects Tony Stark with lithium to give him a window to find a cure, while revealing his new assistant, Natasha Romanoff is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (IM2)
- Thor leads his brother, Sif and the Warriors Three to attack Jotunheim. A fight breaks out leading to a cease-fire after Odin interferes.(TH)
- Now here is where it gets tricky. Stark builds a particle accelerator, creates a new element based on his fathers Expo designs and heals himself and uses his new armor, along with Rhodes in his War Machine armor to battle the Iron Drones at the Stark Expo. Romanoff helps by infiltrating Hammer Tech and disabling the War Machine armor from Hammer Tech control. Ivan Vanko shows up in his Whiplash armor and loses again, but arms the downed drones to explode, leading Tony to save Pepper Potts from death(IM2). While this is happening, Thor, Sif, Loki, The Warriors Three and Odin are on the Bifrost returning to Asgard (TH). Bruce Banner meets up with Betty Ross and with her assistance gets into Culver University to get the file containing data on the experiment. He is betrayed by Leonard Samson who gives his location to Thunderbolt, leading to a massive fight between Blonsky and the Hulk. Blonsky is gruesomely hurt, and Hulks saves Betty from a crashing plane, while her father looks on. Natasha Romanoff watches from afar the event, while the Hulk escapes (IH). Tony is brought in after the Expo Incident to discuss his role as the consultant (IM2). Meanwhile, Thor is stripped of his power by his father Odin and banished to Earth, and his hammer, Mjolnir is also sent to earth as his way back once he learns his lesson(TH). While Thor is falling from Asgard, the Hulk senses this and yells at the sky, while thunder is raging, and Thor is being flung across the sky (IH).
- Loki learns of his lineage and Odin falls into a deep sleep. Loki is then revealed to be the reason Thor is banished, and takes over Asgard. Sif and the Warriors Three go to Earth to see Thor, and Loki sends the Destroyer to kill him. The Hammer sees Thor’s sacrifice and returns his godhood. He rips apart the Destroyer and defeats his brother, who tries to destroy the Frost Giants world with the power of the Bifrost Bridge. Thor then destroys the Bifrost, and Loki jumps into the space chasm after the Bifrost’s destruction(TH).
- Bruce goes to New York City to meet Samuel Stern and finds that he has replicated the blood sample Bruce sent him. They also find a way to reverse the transformation, not rid him of it. Banner is taken captive by the military. Blonsky, still high off the formula designed off of the Super Soldier Serum, makes Stern inject him with Banner’s blood sample. This turns Blonsky into the Abomination. Banner sees this and jumps out of a flying helicopter, forcing a transformation and he fights and defeats Abomination in a grueling fight. Banner escapes to British Colombia where he fully gains control over his transformation of the Hulk(IH).
- Lucy Bauer and her husband find the Darkhold in the basement of Johnny Blaze and begins to use it for their work. (AOS)
- The Mandarin bombs another location.(IM3)
- Coulson tells Fury to shut down Project T.A.H.I.T.I. but this is denied (AOS).
- Eli Morrow is brought in by Bauer in 2012 to help with the Darkhold but this causes a rift between Joseph Bauer and Morrow. Bauer has the Fifth Street Locos kill Morrow, but they accidentally attack and kill Robbie and Gabriel Reyes, Eli Morrow’s nephews. While in the midst of dying, Robbie prays to anyone to help save his brother. Johnny Blaze, the original Ghost Rider, hears his plea and revives them both, and transforms Robbie into the next Ghost Rider. (AOS)
- Morrow attacks Lucy and Joseph Bauer at Momentum Labs over the Darkhold and turns them into spiritual entities and locks them into boxes using the Quantum Particle Generator. Morrow is then arrested for attempt of murder. Robbie later that day, transforms in the Ghost rider and kills the Fifth Street Locos. (AOS)
- The Valkyrie, the cube aka the Tesseract and Captain America are all found. Rogers is later dethawed and escapes into the real world only to be stopped and calmed down by Nick Fury.(CA)
- Before Avengers 1 takes place, Loki makes a deal with Thanos to recover the Tesseract in exchange for an army to take over the Earth. Frigga realizes he is alive and alerts Odin and Thor of this. Odin uses dark magic to open a portal to get Thor to Earth while Odin and Heimdall use various energies to quickly rebuild the Bifrost Bridge. (AV)
- Avengers 1 happens. If i have to explain the greatest Marvel box office hit, then you shouldn’t be reading this list.(AV)
- During the defeat of Loki and the Chituari, War Machine fights off the Ten Rings in Hong Kong, who are trying to secretly capture his suit.(IM3)
- After the fight, Odin sentences Loki to a life imprisonment in the Asgardian Dungeons. The Tesseract is returned to the Throne Room, while Loki’s Scepter is given to S.H.I.E.L.D. to study. Thanos learns of Loki’s defeat and plots his next move, learning any challenging of thes Avengers would be an act of suicide.(AV)
- Tony Stark begins making the Iron Legion.(IM3)
- Coulson is revived at the Guest House with the serum made from Project T.A.H.I.T.I..(AOS)
- Scott Lang is fired from Vistacorp due to stopping a code that was illegally overcharging customers. He later infiltrates the headquarters of Vistacorps to return four million dollars to customers being defrauded. He arrested and sentenced for five years at San Quentin State Prison. (AM)
- The Mandarin bombs the Ali Al Salem Air Base along with the Chinese Theater, injuring Happy Hogan in the process. Tony goes on live air and threatens the Mandarin, leading to an attack on his mansion. After learning that Pepper has been captured by Aldrich Killian, Tony attacks the mansion in search for answers, leading to Maya Hansen’s death. He later saves President Ellis, while finding VP Rodriguez as a conspirator of Killian. Stark uses the Iron Legion to battle Killian’s army of Extremis soldiers, leading Killian to his death by an Extremis-powered Pepper Potts. Stark then destroys his suits, and has the arc reactor in his chest surgically removed. (IM3)
And now we are caught up to Iron Man 3. In part three of this MCU timeline, we will go from the end of Iron Man 3 up to Age of Ultron.